Another clueless, airhead model

Friday, August 17, 2012

Poison Ivy and my super power

My super power is that I cannot be harmed by poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans).  I've read that 15-30% of people also have this super power.  Resistance can diminish with repeated exposure to poison ivy but after 12 years bushwhacking through it my super power is as strong as ever.  The "poison" in poison ivy is urushiol, a compound found in the sap.  Reactions to urushiol can range from itchy rash and blistering skin to anaphylaxis shock, even death.  People who react to poison ivy will have similar affects from mangoes and cashews which are in the same family - Anacardiaceae

I don't know how to use my super power for the greater good of mankind.  Perhaps if the United States is attacked by urushiol missiles and most of the government is disabled then I can take over and lead my band of urushiol-resistant super heroes to save the day.


                                                          Leaves of three, let it be!


                                  Tree hugging a water oak (Quercus nigra) with poison
                                   ivy creeping up its trunk.  Palm Unit, San Bernard NWR

                                  Biologist Roland Davis is a mere mortal who does not
                                  have super power resistance to poison ivy.

Flattr